Sunday 1 April 2012

The Networked Professional Task 3A

I attended the campus session on 22nd March with Alan Durrant, which focused on "Networking". The class discussed Networking in depth before separating into smaller groups to devise a visual to represent our own current networks. My group created a diagram which represented our own networks in the form of a universe. Those people closer to us were near the centre of the universe while those we rarely see where in another solar system.

This visual tool helped me to reflect on the importance of individuals within my own network. It demonstrated who is currently closer to me and who is further away. I have discovered that those further away are mostly the people from my past. Because of the path I have chosen in my career I may not have regular intervention with my previous college principal and employer, however they have given me my knowledge and influenced who I am today. This has highlighted people who I desire to bring closer to my earth's core.
In order to do this I must make more time to network with particular professionals. This could also support my own teaching experiences and future job opportunities, so is well worth investing my time in. However, on a day to day basis (with an ever increasing workload) this is a challenge. I have taken this into consideration before making decisions and taking steps to improve my own professional networks.

I have decided the most effective methods to make some positive changes to my professional networking are to set up a new Facebook account for dance colleagues and work related friends, who can browse my profile without the risk of them seeing too much personal detail. My profile photo does not identify me (reducing the risk of fraud or stalking), I will remain selective when adding new friends and I have increased the privacy settings to prevent others outside of my network viewing my blogs. I will maintain a professional manner when posting news and photos and intend to use this social networking site to increase my conversations, observations and feedback from other practioners who share similar interests at work. You can visit my link below;

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100003715278018

I will also endeavour to maximise my potential for continual professional development through attending more meetings at work, observing lessons / taken on board constructive feedback and to engage more widely in inspirational discussions from other BAPP students such as Jo and Ahmet, who often express, share and reflect ideas.

8 comments:

  1. Good to see you up to Part 3 - good to hear you are reconnecting with work colleagues - the link would not open for me but I think your 'agency' on making connections has lots of potential. It is difficult and yet our communities of practice are so important for our personal and professional well-being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, the site should be up and running, I will send you a link. Gemma

      Delete
  2. This adjusting of our social and profession networks, so that the line is clearer seems to be a theme across the module. We are all striving for a professional profile. I wonder if networking wouldn't be so much of a challenge if you were to factor in a time slot maybe once a week that it purely for maintaining networks. Then it happens at a certain time and you don't have to try and fit it in, maybe a free period. What that help maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ahmet, Thank you I have taken your advice, experimented with a few different time slots and find now that it is certainly easier to maintain my social networking on-line

      Delete
  3. Hi Gemma

    Our 'universe' concept has also made me think about my current networks. You raise an interesting point about the people who have drifted away..

    'I have discovered that those further away are mostly the people from my past. Because of the path I have chosen in my career I may not have regular intervention with my previous college principal and employer, however they have given me my knowledge and influenced who I am today'

    This is probably true for most of us, in such a fast paced industry our current networks change so rapidly. It is a positive thing that you have recognised this and are already making changes to the way you network. I have always considered myself to be someone who is an active networker after doing a bit of research and reflecting on my existing habits, I have realised that there is so much more out there! I am keen to discover new tactics and am looking forward to realising the results!

    I agree with Ahmet too. Scheduling some time purely for networking could be a benefit to us all. I think networking can be easily underestimated and in such a competitive industry could really make you a cut above the rest!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, yes im sure if we were designing our networking map today that it would already have altered slightly? I have discovered that not everyone engages in social networking, as much as you endeavour to expand certain people may resist! Perhaps now I have scheduled some time for networking, this will inspire others?

      Delete
  4. Hi Gemma,
    I think that a Facebook page for your professional work is a great idea.When done right it can look very professional and also I think it is much better than when people are constantly publicising what they are doing on their personal one.This is a no apology way of saying this is what Im up to.It can only generate work.I think you have inspired me to so the same , maybe on Lindekin.
    As Kelly says above networking is essential, as an actor I find it extremely important.
    Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline. Your last comment made me smile, inspiring others is what we all strive to achieve, so thank you. Have you also opened a new facebook account for professional colleagues? I would like to link up with you, will send you a friend request. Gemma

      Delete