Sunday 4 March 2012


I have taken a few different approaches on using structured improvisation and have been experimenting in my lessons. In one lesson I led the structured improvisation. In another class I allowed the students to guide the lesson entirely. I predict that the first class will achieve the highest grades as they had more structure to their lesson (I taught them new learning and they reflected on their own practise through peer/self evaluation).  I look forward to comparing the grades of students from both these two classes after next lessons dance assessment. However, this raises a new question in my mind. What is the definition of "teaching"?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gemma,

    I have realised that structured improvisation has occurred in my drama classes naturally - the whole idea of mine was to get the children feeling more comfortable with script work - they tend to tighten and feel restricted when they are handed a script. (In brackets are my realisations / findings.) So my plan was to use this term to use their ideas (from an improvisation), to then harness their ideas by writing them down (structured improvisation) which lead them to a presentation of their piece with the use of their own scripts (structure). I have found this fascinating. Si I guess we have approached this whole idea from a different angle - I wonder if our results will be similar or completely different?!

    ReplyDelete