Wednesday 10 October 2012

Asking Better Questions

I attended the module 2 campus session on tuesday 9th October, which has inspired me to take a new approach to asking questions.

How do I know that the questions I plan to ask for my research are the "right" questions?

Following an intense group discussion about this subject I concluded that questioning is somewhat subjective and driven by intention and personal values.

In order to get a realistic answer it is important to survey more widely, perhaps out of your persoanl comfort zone, and to use both cratfed and improvised questions. For example, if you are asking a group of people rather than individuals you may get different answers as a result of the condition/situation in which you ask the questions. It is therefore important to decide on how to word a question to a particular person/group.This should enable you to gain the desired outcome as well as ensure you receive valid views and opinions. It is therfore important to do some research on the person/group of people who you are questioning to ensure you approach them using appropriate language and in the correct context to get the right information.

Another Question to consider is "how many questions do you need to ask to get the benefits you need"?

2 comments:

  1. Good Gemma, that's right, there's more to asking a question then first appears to be the case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gemma

    Thanks for your post, I was unable to attend the campus session so this was really helpful.

    I think the way in which we word our questions is something to pay attention to. I worked with a choreographer this week who had a very unique way of teaching. After he taught the choreography he asked me to teach it back to him as if he had never seen it before. It was his way of insuring that I really understood the intention behind the choreography. Quite a good technique I thought!?

    I guess we could approach our questioning the same way. If we do not fully explain what it is we wish to know how can we expect to get back exactly what we are looking for?? Different situation but same concept!?

    Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete