Friday 12 October 2012

Questions for my line of enquiry - 4A


My line of enquiry will be based around exploring the effectiveness of using ICT in dance lessons. I will use a number of ICT tools to include Power point, Video feedback for reflection, DVD clips to observe and analyse dance works and computer programmmes such as I-Movies to edit recorded dance work.

I regonise that I come from a particular persecptive with regards to my intention behind my set of questions. However I wish to acheieve the right feedback to support my line of enquiry. I will strive to create a set of varied questions and plan to survey more widely in order to get valid and realistic views. How many questions should I ask? I will attempt to maintain an open mind in order to improvise new questions that may become relevant to the situation. To make a start here are some questions I have crafted, for your constructive feedback;  

Q1: Do you believe that visual aids can engage students and enhance their learning in dance?

Q2 : Are you be concerned that the use of ICT in a dance lesson may become time consuming, thus taking the emphasis away from the practical training of students?

Q3 : Can you see any value in recording dance work?

Q4 : Would video feedback be a useful method for students to relfect and self-evalaute their own work?

Q5 : DVD clips of professional dance works can be used to demonstrate examples of good dance work to my students. Do you agree with using DVD's in a dance class?

Q6 : I-Movies is a programme which enables students to edit their own recorded dance work. For example they can use it to create their own pop video. Taking into account that this would take them away from the dance studio, where they would instead have some lessons in the computer room, what is your opinion about using this as a tool within dance lessons?

Q7 :  What benefits can a Power Point presentation give to dance students?

Q8 : Dance is a visual art form, so do you think other visual tools such as ICT are necessary?

Q9 : How can ICT support student assessment?

Q10 : What do you think about this proposed topic? In your opinion will ICT be effective for student progress in dance?

I will set up a SIG group for questioning and ask my set of questions to other staff at my place of work, with a priority for individual Media and I.T teachers. As I plan to experiment with the use of ICT in my BTEC dance lessons, the opinion of my students will also be important. So I will question them in small group's for feedback.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gemma,
    I hope the opinions and thoughts below assist you with your questioning. I have chosen to answer the questions that I feel I can substantiate with experience.
    (Q10)I think this is a brilliant subject to question. The reasons below will hopefully explain my opinion...
    (Q1) I had a direct experience of using the internet - a You Tube video as Stimulus for a drama piece and it worked really well. (Q3)I truly believe that the use of ICT will become an important and relevant tool to assist teachers and students in teaching/learning/reflecting on their work. Looking back at DVDs is a brilliant way to "show" children rather than "tell". I find that they are much more responsive to visual aids as opposed to someone speaking at / with them.
    Children respond to technology extremely positively as they are used to working with ICT from such an early age now (my Nephews have used a laptop and computer since they were 4 years of age!)
    (Q2)I think striking the balance of the practical and theoretical would be important, but the fact that there are so many different strands to a practical exercise such as movement (actually dancing), reflection (watching themselves back on DVD to dissect good and bad techniques etc). Another very useful exercise would be for the student to learn how to dance and form choreography for film/T.V in comparison to theatre.
    I hope this helps - Really interesting subject and questions. I hope to see you again soon!
    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gemma,

    dont know if this is helpful but I remember when I was younger a teacher playing me a video of Pina Bausch dancing and I was really moved by it and I think it is very important to use different methods to teach an art. Obviously by doing it we learn but also watching others work. If you arent in a social position to be able to go to theatre and be lucky enough to see great shows, companies like the National are beginning to record shows and put them on in arthouse cinemas.I dont have the teaching skills or dance skills that you have and I dont know if this is related directly but I saw this article in the Guardian blog and thought of your questions which I think are allvery interesting.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog?page=5

    Best Wishes Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pauline, thats really inspiring thank you for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Visual aids are crucial in stimulating interest in Dance. So few young people have any direct experience of any form of live dance performance and class time is so limited that using DVD clips to extend the experience of young dancers is a time and cost-effective way of providing them with a wide range of experiences which they would otherwise not have access to.
    7. Dancers are also likely to be kinasthetic learners, so the use of ICT; PPP/word processing rather than writing/video recording of their work and of their evaluation of their work, is likely to engage them far more readily than the traditional written recording and evaluation of work.

    ReplyDelete